Augmented reality – the idea of enhancing our view of the world around us with digitized text or objects – has moved out of research labs. Below are five of our favorite videos demonstrating a few of the myriad ways AR has jumped onto smart phones and computer screens to entertain and inform ordinary consumers.
1) The US Postal Service helps customers find the right-size shipping box.
2) BMW's experimental tool walks auto mechanics through repairs.
3) Esquire magazine’s special issue has several AR features.
4) Acrossair.com offers a Subway Finder for the iPhone.
5) Topps 3D baseball cards “come alive” with AR.
6) Tags activate 3D action figures from the movie “Avatar.”